Thursday, September 19, 2013

Nutritional Journal Assignment


 I chose to use 'MyFitnessPal' for this assignment because I already have an account and use it. I like how it tracks everything!




Carbohydrates:
1) 100 grams of Carbohydrates consumed in one day.
2) 400 calories were Carbohydrates
3) 39% of all calories contributed were from Carbohydrates
4) I am below the daily recommendation for carbs. I wouldn't say that I am on a "low carb diet" but I definitely tend to eat fewer carbs then is recommended.
5) Most of my carbohydrate intake comes from complex and simple carbohydrates. The big ones of the day being the apple and the Quesadilla.

Fats:
1) 48 grams of fats consumed
2) 432 calories were fats
3) 42% of all calories contributed were from Fats
4) My fats were higher than the daily recommended values. Although they were on par for my plan on MFP (see table below). The things that I ate that had the most fat in them were the quesadilla (probably the cheese), the greek yogurt (milk fats) and the almonds. I think the one that is probably the "worst" for me and therefore could be cut out/down would be the Quesadilla - maybe use a lower fat/ fat free cheese.
5) My cholesterol for the day was 120mg, well below the recommended amount.

Protein:
1) 55 grams
2) 220 calories
3) 22% of my calories contributed were proteins
4) My total protein contribution is within the normal range. 

Vitamins/Minerals:
1) I like to eat a large variety of items. My levels vary every day. I take multi-vitamins and other supplements everyday because I know that my diet, at it's core, sucks. 
2)  I consumed 4.15 grams of salt. According to MFP I need to take in more sodium.
3) The quesadilla, pita-pal mix and pretzels were the highest in salt. I could use a different cheese on the quesadilla and buy a different pretzel/lower sodium version.


What 'MyFitnessPal' thinks my diet should look like:

This exercise was definitely a bit of an 'eye-opener'. I have used this program many times in the past (and currently when I remember to use it) but I have not done the percentages and a deeper look into each category. 
One of the biggest things I see when I track my foods is that I, surprisingly, don't eat ENOUGH food. Sounds weird right? You would think that the thing to do in order to lose weight is to not eat as much! But that is very very wrong. I learned that the hard way! Now I know that you have to eat to keep your metabolism in motion.
A friend told me once that you metabolism is like the giant wheel on The Price is Right. The wheel won't move with you spinning it (eating) and it stays in motion by you continuing to spin it. 
So now I try to eat MORE, smaller meals/snacks throughout the day. I also have made a big effort to eat more fruits and vegetables!




No comments:

Post a Comment